THE ALGONQUIN HILLS IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION COMMON INTEREST PROPERTY
830' BEACH BOAT LAUNCH NATURE WALK VENETIAN CHANNELS PARKS RIVERSIDE PICNIC
LOT IS FOR YOU TO USE AND ENJOY Courtesy of ALGONQUIN HILLS IMPROVEMENT
ASSOCIATION CELEBRATING ITS SIXTIETH ANNIVERSARY YEAR In March of 1926,
the Algonquin Hills developer placed into trust several parks, three Venetian
channels, two river access lots (walks), and a beach. The Trust Agreement
between Frank E. Merrill & Co., and Northern Trust Land Bank reserved
these properties for the exclusive use of all lot owners in the Algonquin
Hills Subdivision, Units 1-5, and is recorded in the McHenry County Recorder's
Book of Plats #5, p.71. Unit 5 has since been vacated. In l928 Pioneer
Park was dedicated to the Village of Algonquin by Mr. Merrill (Plat Book
#6). An early developer's map indicate that these properties are to be
preserved "FOR ALL TIME". It is interesting to note that this map depicts
a fountain right in the middle of Lowe Drive, and piers in the center channel
held for the exclusive use of all lot owners. (Trust Agreement #6478, Northern
Trust Bank, 50, S. LaSalle, Chicago, Il.) On March 24, l937, the ALGONQUIN
HILLS IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION OF ALGONQUIN IL., was incorporated with the
State of Illinois. (File # N2505-918-2). On September 1, l938, the name
was changed to ALGONQUIN HILLS IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION, INC. The not for
profit corporation was dissolved on December 1, l976, for failure to file
annual reports. Due to the efforts of Mr. Jim Rice and others, it was reinstated
on May 22, l986 and remains in good standing with the State of Illinois.
It must be noted that although for a short period of time the corporation
suffered under dissolution, the ALGONQUIN HILLS IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION
HAS REMAINED A VIABLE ENTITY FOR SIXTY YEARS. The purpose of the Association,
as stated on the original articles of incorporation is for "NEIGHBORHOOD
AND COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT, and charitable purposes." Throughout its long
history A.H.I.A. has remained a pro-active civic organization dedicated
to neighborhood and community improvement as well as the preservation and
protection of all the common interest properties. Some of the services
provide by A.H.I.A include: Neighborhood Watch: AHIA participated in founding
one of the first Neighborhood Watch Programs in the Village of Algonquin.
AHIA hosted Algonquin's first COMMUNITIES AGAINST GANGS presentation at
the annual picnic. The program also included presentations by DARE Officers
and self defense experts. AHIA petitioned for and received a Stop Sign
at the corner of Harrison and Wildwood. The Algonquin Township Highway
Department recognizes AHIA as the only administrative entity through which
it will provide monetary allotments of gravel and grading services in order
to maintain several non-dedicated roadways in the subdivision. Without
the efforts of AHIA, these allotments would not be granted. By virtue of
lot ownership all residents in the Algonquin Hills Subdivision are members
of AHIA with full voting rights. The $30.00 yearly dues are voluntary.
The AHIA Directors meet at the Algonquin Area Library the fourth Thursday
of each month and all members are encouraged to attend. The meetings are
advertised at the Library, on a bulletin board on N. Harrison, as well
as through the local newspapers and Cable Television. THE BEACH is 830'
long by 7' X 38'wide, depending on the height of the river. It spans the
distance between Melvina Ct. and Wildwood. Access is through the AHIA picnic
lot, the boat launch or the nature trail. WOODCHUCK WALK, the nature trail
is 20'wide and goes from the corner of Lowe Dr. and Wildwood to the river.
THE BOAT LAUNCH is at the foot of Melvina Ct. on Lowe Dr. A user fee is
required. Please contact the Harbor Master or the Boat Launch Committee.
THE AHIA PICNIC LOT is located at 1335 Lowe Drive. There are picnic tables,
Bar-B-Q's and trash containers. The lot sports a sandy beach and a fire
pit. Pavilions are available upon request. Dues paying members may reserve
the lot for group functions. THREE VENETIAN CHANNELS may be found between
the river and N. Harrison. In a cooperative effort between Fox Waterways,
adjacent homeowners and AHIA, the channels were recently cleaned out and
dredged. A foot-bridge project is the next step in this neighborhood improvement.
PARKS: PIONEER PARK was dedicated to the Village of Algonquin in 1928.
It contains a small amount of playground equipment. With much efforts from
the parks sub committee, we are soon to receive a very large park improvement.
COMMON INTEREST Parks: include a 40.5' wide parcel from N.Harrison to the
channel between lots 4 & 11 in block 31, and a 45'wide parcel from
N. Harrison to the channel between lots 3 & 12 in block 30. For further
information contact: ALGONQUIN HILLS IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION P.O. BOX 594
ALGONQUIN, IL 60102